People come to counselling for a number of different reasons. Counselling can help you to process difficult situations, to change negative thinking patterns, or to work on problematic behaviours that are holding you back in life.
"I really feel like working with Emily has made such a difference. I came to counselling with work issues, grief, and low self-esteem. I left feeling empowered, and in putting my psychological skills to work completed an important project at work, which I don't know if I would have been able to do before. I feel ready for life's challenges again." (Female client, age 34)
It is important to remember that it is not the responsibility of the counsellor to tell clients what to do about a specific situation or to solve their problems. Counselling provides clients with the environment to help them feel empowered to make their own decisions and to help achieve higher levels of mental, emotional, and relational health.
"I had a very good experience at counselling. I felt listened to, and found out things about myself that I didn't know. I was provided with many tools to cope with my problems outside of here, and feel a different person now and that I can cope with anything that comes my way." (Male client, age 30)
My goal as your counsellor is to help you work towards your own goals in a supportive and encouraging counselling relationship. I will work alongside you and offer constructive support in a safe and confidential environment.
- Recognise and change negative thought patterns
- Re-frame your perspective and try new ways of thinking
- Experience increased capacity to think through decisions
- Identify your emotions and understand their meaning
- Learn to stabilise and process your emotions through helpful coping strategies
- Understand the gifts that emotions can bring
- Learn and practice communication skills in a safe environment
- Explore relational patterns in your life
- Improve relationships through relational boundary education